Recently, I have been hearing many friends fall away from faith due to disappointments with God for unanswered prayers that leave them with anger and bitterness… It was sad just because we cannot have the things we want, we lost the belief of God’s existence or we simply dismissed that God is not true to His claims of who He says He is. How often when God blesses us (so many times), we forgot to give thanks or praise Him, but how quickly or easily we get bitter when we get disappointed or during times of silence fm God.
How can we guard ourselves and stand firm under testings?
1. Recognise that life on earth do not consist happy times everyday nor be smooth sailing
When times are good, be happy; but when times are bad, consider this: God has made the one as well as the other. – Ecclesiastes 7:14
2. Do not forget God’s everlasting mercies and overlook His intentions
… do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, forbearance and patience, not realizing that God’s kindness is intended to lead you to repentance?- Romans 2:4
3. Take joy in testings because they are opportunities to better your character
Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. – James 1:2-4
4. Emulate Job that he did not blame God for the bad things happening in his life and God rewards his righteousness
“… Shall we accept good fm God, and not trouble?” In all this, Job did not sin in what he said. – Job 2:10b
5. Take heart that God bless those who endure and crown them with life
God blesses those who patiently endure testing and temptation. Afterward they will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him. – James 1:12
6. Remember God works things out in the end
The Lord works out everything to its proper end– even the wicked for a day of disaster. – Proverbs 16:4
Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. – Rom12:12
Stand firm, and you will win life. – Luke21:19
Take home point: Stand firm against the devil schemes, persevere in prayers, patient in Hope, endure testings, trusting and believing God beyond circumstances and the weaknesses of our flesh.